Careers at Memset
If you're looking for a challenging career, working at the cutting edge of technology, then we want to hear from you. Memset can offer you a friendly atmosphere and the chance to make a big difference in a small company. We recognise that our staff are the bedrock of our success so we reward them with a generous benefits package and a discretionary bonus scheme. Memset is fast growing and profitable, with ambitious plans, so we're looking for people who can develop with us. Training is ongoing, incorporating both formal qualifications and informal in-house learning, depending on your needs.
Memset is currently hiring for the following positions (permanent and full time unless otherwise specified):
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Data Centre Support Engineer
- Administration Assistant
- Windows Systems Administrator
- Corporate Infrastructure Engineer
If you would like to apply please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org along with 3 reasons why you would be perfect for the position.
Please note: Memset does not accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies.
Memset is an equal opportunities employer and entry into, and progression within, the company is solely determined by the application of job criteria, personal attitude and competence.
Memset takes the security of personal data very seriously. All personal information supplied by you is held securely by Memset and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Memset is a small, friendly, fast-growing, multi-award-winning company providing managed hosting and cloud services to businesses and government. We have a comprehensive suite of in-house developed systems, mostly Linux-based using Python, Django and MySQL, which automate many of our business processes. We can offer a dynamic environment in which to progress your career and practise agile development with continuous integration.
We're a naturally open-source leaning company, primarily very technical hence demanding of our technology. Our approach is one of smart people and automated systems. Our internal systems are often a proving ground for cutting-edge new approaches which will ultimately become the products of the future.
This is an extremely friendly environment. You will be technically and professionally challenged but our family will be here to support you. We look after our own, not just with a solid benefits package, but with the culture around us as well. We offer a relaxed atmosphere with a casual dress code, ping-pong table and many other great perks.
Dunsfold Park, Cranleigh, Surrey (GU6 8TB) - map
Dunsfold Park is home to the famous Top Gear track and production studio, as well as Wings and Wheels and many other exciting events.
Due to our rural location, you must be able to drive. Alternatively, we offer a shuttle bus service from Guildford train station to Dunsfold via Godalming, which runs twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon. Each journey takes 20-30 minutes.
All roles are currently based at our head office but there may be a future requirement to travel to other Memset offices as the business expands.
- Annual salary review
- Discretionary bonus twice a year
- Private healthcare (including dental)
- Life insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Cycle scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Tech Fund to help you develop your IT skills and acumen
- Extensive internal and external training
- BBQ and benches outside - whenever the weather permits bring your own meat in and enjoy a burger al fresco while watching the Stig driving around the track
- Fun Budget - various team building events throughout the year e.g. Pub Quiz, Christmas party, BBQ at the owner's house - lots of fun guaranteed every time!
- Length of service awards
- Employee of the Month competition with very attractive prizes
- Pension Scheme coming up in August 2016
As part of the recruitment process you will be required to complete personality profiling, aptitude tests as well as a basic DBS check (formerly CRB check) and Security Clearance (SC).
Linux Systems Administrator
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced Linux Systems Administrator to join the friendly team here at Memset.
You will be responsible for providing 2nd line customer support and as such your principal tasks will include:
- Linux system administration
- Provisioning and set up of servers and network equipment
- Engineering highly available solutions for our infrastructure and customers
- Configuration and patch management
- Monitoring and fault resolution
- Maintaining excellent documentation
You will also be required to be 24/7 on-call one week in seven with additional compensation.
A successful candidate must have:
- Proven experience of Linux system administration with Debian/Ubuntu/RHEL
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking and internet protocols
- Experience of Linux firewalling with iptables (Shorewall,CSF etc.)
- Knowledge of Virtualisation/Cloud technologies (Xen/KVM/qemu/Openstack etc.)
- Monitoring with Nagios, check_mk, SNMP
You should have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, as well as good team-working skills. You should also be self-motivated, pro-active, autonomous and highly organised. Ability to absorb and retain complex technical information rapidly, strong problem solving and analysis skills are equally important.
It would be beneficial if you had relevant qualifications e.g. LPI/RHCE or a degree in science, maths, engineering or technology.
It would also be useful if you had any of the following:
- HA and load balancing technologies
- MySQL and replication
- Automation experience with Puppet/Ansible
- Good scripting abilities in Bash/Python
- Experience of Linux kernel tuning
- Experience in high security hosting environment
Data Centre Support Engineer
Do you have a strong passion for computing, especially hardware? Are you looking for your first break into IT? The role as a Data Centre Support Engineer could be just for you.
Working in our company's UK data centres you will be responsible for installing and maintaining enterprise level hardware as well as being involved in the maintenance and upkeep of the data centres themselves.
Your day-to-day duties will include:
- Helping with server setups/ configuration and support
- Installing immaculate cabling
- Server rack wiring, disk swaps, physical server installs, lifting servers and asset management
- Keeping the data centre clean, organised and efficient, working to 5s principles
- Troubleshooting physical problems and addressing issues within the facility
- Working on trouble and support tickets
Previous experience is not necessary since full training can be provided. However, you must have good knowledge of, and demonstrable interest in, PC and server hardware and be hugely passionate about technology. You will also need to have a full, clean UK driving licence.
Due to the nature of the position, you must be able to lift at least 15kg (33lb) over head, be happy to work as part of a 24/7 shift pattern and willing to work overtime when required.
The following will be beneficial to your application:
- A logical approach and the ability to use your own initiative to get the job done
- Good communication and organisational skills.
- A 'can do' and pro active work ethic
- Be able to understand and follow process
- Ability to work alone or be part of a team
An opportunity has arisen for an Administration Assistant to join the team. Reporting to the Head of Administration and HR, your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Head of Compliance with audit admin - document control, following up of actions with their owners, helping with reporting, collating records.
- Assisting the Office Manager with office administration duties - answering the door, signing for deliveries, answering the admin team’s phone.
- Assisting the accounts team with accounting duties - processing bought ledger.
- Assisting the HR team with HR admin duties – assisting with staff induction and staff leaving procedure and recruitment admin
- Covering for the PA to the MD in her absence - arranging meetings and travel.
- Assisting the admin team with any ad hoc duties and projects as and when required.
To be considered for this role you must have:
- Experience in office administration
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Demonstrable excellent organisational and time-keeping skills.
- Pro-active, positive and happy to assist various people with various projects.
- Computer skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Windows Systems Administrator
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Windows Systems Administrator to join a company that offers an excellent environment to develop their skills and gain experience with many new technologies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing 2nd line technical support to customers via phone and email and provisioning and administration of customer environments
- Supporting and training of 1st line technical team
- Troubleshooting hardware/network/software problems
- Security patching
- Preparation and maintenance of operating system images
- Assisting in the development of automation and provisioning tools
You will also be required to be 24/7 on call one week in seven, with additional compensation.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows with an emphasis on 2008/2012
- Knowledge of virtualisation technologies
- Experience of Active Directory administration
- Detailed understanding of TCP/IP networking fundamentals
- Good degree in a science, maths, engineering or technology, or be able to demonstrate relevant IT experience
You must also have excellent communication, customer service and problem solving skills as well as the ability to effectively communicate issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization. You should be thorough, accurate and precise with good attention to detail.
We manage both Linux and Windows environments, so exposure to Linux is highly beneficial.
It would also be beneficial if you had any of the following:
- Relevant qualifications e.g. MCSE/MCSA/MCP
- Experience in a cloud computing/hosting environment
- Windows scripting and automation experience I.e Powershell
- Microsoft SQL
- VPN technologies i.e. IPSEC, PPTP
Corporate Infrastructure Engineer
An experienced Infrastructure Engineer is required to join the Corporate Infrastructure team here at Memset. You will work closely with the Corporate Infrastructure Manager to develop the internal infrastructure and deliver IT projects.
This role has an emphasis on Linux and network administration, but will also entail a degree of Mac and Windows support. Suitable candidates will have a strong work ethic and attention to detail as well as a proactive and 'can do' attitude.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Linux system administration
- Network infrastructure administration
- Take business critical infrastructure projects through to completion
- Generate and maintain infrastructure documentation
To be considered for this role you must have:
- Prior experience in a Linux server and desktop administration role
- Experience in the installation and support of network infrastructure (i.e. firewalls, routers, switches)
- Experience with virtualisation technologies (i.e. Xen/KVM/VMware/Citrix)
- Willingness to learn and support non-Linux based systems where applicable to the role
Experience in any of the following will be beneficial to your application:
- Postfix and Procmail
- iptables /Shorewall
- IP telephone systems – Asterisk in particular
- Apache Subversion
- Cloud technologies (i.e. OpenStack)
- Monitoring tools such as Nagios or Observium
- Microsoft Active Directory and/or Group Policy
Last updated 22 June 2016, 10:25 GMT