Managed Backups for Linux and cPanel Servers
The Memset Managed Backup service provides external backups of data from your linux server. This service will log into your server each night and sync data from your server to a dedicated Memset backup server. The directory or directories that are synced will depend on the mode of operation that is selected.
Explanation of Backup Modes
For linux and cPanel servers, we offer four different modes of backups. For cPanel/WHM users, we recommend the /backup mode as cPanel will store its backups under this directory.
- /backup - This mode will sync all data stored under this directory.
- /home/backup - This mode will sync all data stored under this directory.
- Common directories - This mode we will take a nightly backup of the following directories:
- All directories - in this mode Memset will take a nightly backup of the contents of all data on the entire server.
Please note, the Memset backup system will not follow symlinks.
Changing the backup mode for your server
You can change the backup mode for your server by:
- Log in to the Memset control panel, then click the manage link for your server on the Services page.
- Click the Managed backups settings link under Management Tools.
- Select the required backups mode from the drop-down box, then click Update.
Backup data should be ready before 10:45pm
The Memset backup system for linux servers does not take backups at a fixed time for each server. Rather, the backup can be taken any time after 11 pm. This is why it is very important that any data that is created on the server for backing up by Memset e.g. a database dump, should be ready before 10:45 pm to ensure that it is copied correctly by the Memset backup system.
If the backup data is created after 10:45 pm there is a chance that the Memset backup system will either take backup up before the data is created or during its creation, either of which means your data will not be backed up.
Last updated 17 May 2017, 05:34 GMT